Monday, December 7, 2009

Clearing the footing drains


About the time the concrete walls were finished some of the earthen wall behind them caved in. At some places the fallen material covered the new footings and the outside drain form with heavy clay. To be sure this does not inhibit water behind the wall from draining away, I have been shoveling a trench at least 8 inches wide next to the drains and down far enough to expose the slits in them that allow water in. Then I'm filling the trench with gravel to be sure there will be a path for water when the backfill is added or in case more caves in before the fill is added.



We had snow on the ground this morning so I did some things in the apartment all day. There's a good chance of rain in the morning and for the next few days, up to a half inch or more.

I hope to get the rest of the clay and mud off the drains despite that because it's forecast to be as cold as 12 degrees before the weekend. I might have to lay some of the polystyrene panels over top of the canyon if I have to dig while it's raining. The temperature is forecast to be in the low 40's, not bad for this time of year.

No comments: