Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Still here


I realized tonight there have been two primary reasons/excuses for not posting more regularly over the last four months or so.

First reason: I don't post much when there is nothing new to tell or no progress overall that I find to be newsworthy.

This reason covers much of the late fall and early winter. It took much longer than I had hoped to get the final drawings to the SIP manufacturer and, consequently, the panels weren't ready until after Christmas. This, combined with the weather-affected schedule of the installers, left us without a reliable roof until early in January. No roof in winter, no inside work, no news to post.

Second reason: When we can work, I have to choose between the work and documenting the work.

Some days, after the roof was put on, I worked until 8 PM, and sometimes later. By the end of one of those 10-hour-plus workdays, I just don't have the enthusiasm for sitting down to craft a meaningful entry.Also, when there is help for things that take more assistance than just Sandy can provide, we try to work long days because the extra help usually isn't here for too long at once. Neither situation leaves a lot of time for documenting what's being done.

Since the last post in early February, the windows and doors have been installed, 98% of the interior walls have been framed, lots of building materials have been purchased and moved in, and a dishwasher, kitchen sink, faucets, bath tub, second-bath sink, vanity and toilet have all been purchased and moved in. Finally, all the materials for the waterproofing layer of our living roof were purchased and picked up.

The plan was to keep the SIP roof covered until we had close to a week of dry weather to install the waterproofing. (Based on our weather lately, I began to fear that would be late July.)

But two weeks ago my sister Judy came from Delaware to help. She left for home today, but while she was here she worked long hours with me and we got more done than I could have in two months. The most significant accomplishment was to get all of the waterproof membrane installed, a three-person job.

I didn't take any pictures, but Sandy did and over the next few days I'll try to get them posted.

No comments: